HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
COMMITTEE: Energy Resources
TIME & DATE: 1:00 PM, Tuesday, August 26, 2014
The Committee will meet to hear the following:
Interim Charge 1
Study the impact of the expanding oil and gas exploration and production occurring across the state. Included in the study should be both the positive impacts of the exploration and production as well as the new challenges they are presenting. The study should encompass a review of the following issues:
• The effect on the state budget and the Economic Stabilization Fund;
• The overall impact on the state economy;
• The impact on property values and local taxes;
• The effect on roads;
• The impact on local school districts;
• The complex relationship between land owners, royalty owners, and operators;
• The impact on the environment, including emissions and injection wells;
• Projected water needs and how those fit with our state water plan; and
• The housing issues created by the number of workers needed in areas of shale plays.
Interim Charge 2
Study the P5 permitting process at the Railroad Commission to determine whether the process is efficient and effective and whether there are actions that can be taken to improve the process.
Interim Charge 3
Study and review the appropriation of general revenue dollars allocated to the Railroad Commission for improvements in IT systems to ensure those funds are being utilized to streamline the permitting process and to allow access to information for all parties that conduct business at the Commission.
Interim Charge 4
Review the application of Texas Business & Commerce Code, Section 9.343, to determine the legal rights of unperfected security interests of oil and gas producers with respect to subsequent purchasers, specifically in the context of a bankruptcy proceeding such as Arrow Oil & Gas, Inc. v. SemCrude, L.P. and subsequent cases.
Interim Charge 5
Monitor the implementation of HB 2982 (83R) to ensure that the required rulemaking is completed efficiently and in a timely manner.
The Committee will hear invited testimony only.
The agenda will be available at the hearing.
NOTICE OF ASSISTANCE AT PUBLIC MEETINGS
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need assistance, such as a sign language interpreter, are requested to contact Stacey Nicchio at (512) 463-0850, 24 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made.